A late 19th century artificial stone garden statue of Diana de Gabies: after the antique, in classical dress on square foot. Attributed to Matthew W. Johnson. Matthew W. Johnsons works rarely come onto the market. Whether this is because none of his pieces were stamped or because little was made is uncertain. An incomplete catalogue dating from the mid 19th century exists and he advertises the company as Sculptors and Masons as well as producing figures, fountains and vases in artificial stone 'warranted to resist frost'. The firm operated from New Road, Fitzroy Square, London and claimed |an immense variety of designs for inspection.
Dimensions: 175 cm high
Condition: Fingers right hand are lacking, although restorable. Outstanding natural patina.
Price: PRICE ON DEMAND
The original of this statue was excavated by Gavin Hamilton in 1792 on Prince Borghese’s property at Gabii outside Rome. In September 1807 it was purchased together with the bulk of the Borghese antiquities by Napoleon Bonaparte, brother- in- law of Prince Camillo Borghese. It was sent from Rome between 1808 and 1811 and by 1820 it was displayed in the Louvre where it still stands. On the advice of Sir Thomas Lawrence a plaster cast was placed in the entrance hall of the Atheneum in London. Many smaller commercial copies were also manufactured, in bronze, in basalt stoneware by Copeland and in terracotta by Blashfield.
Viooltjesdreef 39031 Baarle-aan-de-Leie
email@example.com +32 (0) 9 282 20 97 +32 (0) 475 53 41 63
Bezoek aan de tuin enkel na afspraak.