A truly exceptional and giant neoclassical style 20th century terracotta garden urn. One of two made by Johnston's Pipe Ltd. , Telford, Shropshire (having been a special order two were made in case of damage during the firing process). English circa 1910.
Dimensions: 143 cm high; diameter 61 cm
Condition: Good condition
Price: PRICE ON DEMAND
The master copy of this urn is situated in the private gardens of Burghley House in Stamford Lincolnshire, home of the Cecil family, the Marquesses of Exeter and was made by J.M. Blashfield. Stamford in Lincolnshire was the site of Blashfield’s Terracotta manufacture from 1858. The urn was commissioned in the late 19th century and located in the gardens. It was converted into a fountain in the 1960s further to the redesign of this area by the 6th Marchioness of Exeter. It is assumed that Johnston bought one or more of Blashfield’s moulds after his bankruptcy and had a go at production using local clay. J.M Blashfield’s workshop was based in Millwall, Poplar with a sales outlet at No.1 Praed Street, Edgeware Road, London. He later moved to Stamford, Lincolnshire to be nearer the clay beds. He won medals for Terra Cotta at the Paris International Exhibition in 1867. One of his most important commissions was supplying architectural terracotta for the decoration of the new Museum of Fine Arts in Boston – unfortunately this stretched his resources too far and the Stamford Terracotta Factory closed in 1875. with thanks to Sharon Powell from Anthemion Crowther